Tuesday, November 4, 2008

WASHINGTON DC VOTER TURNOUT: Get A Load of This Line

Check out these videos shot by Germonique Ulmer of the Center for Community Change. Although the line was VERY long, everybody was in good spirits.

Walking up to my voting precinct in NE Washington, DC at 7:42 am, I had so much pride. Precinct 66 is traditionally one of the highest voting precincts in the District..but today was by far a first. The turnout in this older, middle class African American neighborhood was a sight to behold. In my 8 years living in this neighborhood, I've never waited more than a few minutes to register my vote. It usually took me more time to walk the parking lot up to the school than to cast my ballot. Though the line was long (a 2 hour wait in my case) wrapping around a middle school, the crowd was in good spirits. It was like the lottery when the last letter of your name was called to step up to the line and sign in to vote. Having one touch screen voting machine slowed up the process a quite a bit. Nevertheless, voters stepped up with pride to exchange their completed ballots with their "I Voted" sticker.






No comments: